513 North Buckeye Street - S. Tudor Building
(images: older photo ca 1903)
This massive three-story, three-bay, red-brick building once housed one of the largest purveyors of poultry, eggs, and butter in the state. Steve Tudor's business shipped local farm products to retailers nationwide. The location of the building was the site of this type business as far back as 1889. The limits of the three bays of the façade are defined by brick pilasters that extend upward the full height of the building. The pilaster effect in the first story is achieved by quoins at the corners and quoined
pilaster strips as the interior dividers. The pilasters in the second and third stories have limestone bases and caps. The left and center bays on the street level portion contain two large window openings; the sills are limestone and the brick flat arch lintels are accentuated with large decorative limestone keys. This stylized limestone key is dominant over each window in the façade. The right bay at street level contains the main entry to the interior and a single window opening. The window units at street level are double-hung and glazed eight-over-one; the double-hung units in the second and third stories are glazed eight-over-eight. The entry surround features a singlestory brick pilaster at each side, a limestone lintel – with the words “S. TUDOR & CO.” embossed – above the door, and a stylized limestone key between the lintel and the top of the recessed doorway. The building is topped by a plain metal cornice with round limestone finials that appear as the top adornment for each of the pilasters below.
Year Built: C. 1905