121 East Sycamore - The Sipe Building
(iimages: in the older photograph, this small building can be seen tucked between the Sipe Theatre and the Draper block. The theatre was destroyed by fire and that corner is now a small city park.)
This 1880s commercial vernacular building is characterized by flat roofs and brick construction. It is one of just a few existing single-story buildings in the downtown area dating before 1920. The building was owned by Evella Sipe, who also owned the Sipe Theatre, which stood on the corner site now occupied by the city’s gazebo. In 1982, this became the first building placed on the Kokomo Historic Review Board’s local landmark registry. Minor changes have been made to the front, and the building was given a stucco side wall after fire destroyed the Sipe Theatre in 1967. The interior has now changed radically, unfortunately losing its original black oak woodwork, ornamental mirrored wall and tiled floors.
Contributing Design: Romanesque Revival
Year Built: C. 1895