101 W. Sycamore - Armstrong Landon Building
(images: older photo is the earlier Armstrong Landon building, which was destroyed by fire in 1923)
Built in 1924, this building was designed by Kokomo architect Oscar F. Cook, who also designed the Masonic Temple and the Howard County Courthouse. Built in the Neoclassical and Craftsman styles popular for commercial buildings in Chicago, it was known as the Armstrong-Landon Hardware and Appliance Store, with many offices on the upper floors. This is the tallest structure in the immediate downtown area. Notice the symmetry in this building, with pairs of windows and pilasters on the first floor. The building remains relatively unchanged in appearance, except for the addition of newer windows on the first floor. An earlier building on the site had housed the Armstrong-Pickett Company, the predecessor of Armstrong Landon, having sold hardware from a three-and-a-half-story structure erected in 1875. It burned in 1923.
Contributing Design: Neoclassical/Craftsman C. 1924