Historic Architecture Style Guide
Art Deco was used in architecture from around 1925 through 1940, and is characterized by bold geometric forms and stylized decoration, often of Egyptian influence. Low relief ornamentation, which can be seen on the Howard County Courthouse and the Phone Company Building, are common. Zigzags and chevrons are popular symbols of this style.
Popular beginning around 1905 and through the 1920s, the Craftsman style is most often seen in residential architecture. Low-pitched roofs with exposed rafters, and “knee-braces,” found in the eaves supporting the roof, as well as divided-light windows are common features of this style. The L.E.&W. Railroad Depot is an excellent commercial example of the style.
Italianate was the predominant style in Indiana from 1855 through 1890. Tall, narrow, and usually slightly arched windows and decorative brackets are tell-tale signs of this style. Commercial examples, such as the Lerner Building, also have decorative cornices, a feature of the commercial buildings of this style.
Neoclassical was popular from 1895 to 1930 for public buildings such as libraries, banks and courthouses in the United States. Bold and symmetrical in form and lavish in detail, these buildings are sometimes embellished with sculpture. Elaborate classical details, such as columns and pediments, are common features. This is the most popular style found in downtown Kokomo.
Asymmetrical composition with turrets, tall chimneys, bay windows, and stained glass windows are common features of the Queen Anne style. Differing wall textures and steep roofs are also often seen in this style that was popular beginning around 1885 through 1910. The building at 107-9 West Mulberry is an excellent commercial example of the Queen Anne style.
Popular from 1880 through 1900, this style was adapted from Revival European medieval architecture. Therefore, massive scale, heavy-looking arches and rock-faced stone exteriors with trim of contrasting color or texture are common features. Romanesque Revival was a popular style for churches and public buildings during this time period, and is found in Kokomo at Grace United Methodist Church and the “Old” City Building.