Click on the image for a larger map - or use Google Maps. The first stop on the tour is Courthouse Square in downtown Kokomo, beginning on the Sycamore Street just south of the county courthouse.
Courthouse Square is part of the property donated to the county by David Foster at the time of it's founding. The surveyor's stakes for the square were driven into it's corners in the summer of 1844, before there was a town here. Foster's donation came from a parcel of land originally allotted by treaty to Chief Richardville of the Miami. That treaty resulted in the relocation of most of the Miami people to the western states. Richardville remained in Indiana, becoming one of the richest men in the state.