Neo-Jacobean/Romanesque Revival, c. 1890
One of the finest examples in the state, the Seiberling Mansion has many Romanesque Revival features including the heavy limestone arches, brick and limestone walls, towering brick chimneys, and a slate roof with metal cresting. Notice the details on the porch and porte-cochere with limestone foundation, brick walls, round brick Corinthian columns, and dentil molding around the cornice. Construction began in 1889 and was completed in the fall of 1891. Built for Monroe Seiberling of Akron, Ohio at a cost of $50,000, Mr. Seiberling was the founder of the Diamond Plate Glass Company in Kokomo. The architecture of the home is a mixture of Neo-Jacobean (Queen Anne) and Romanesque Revival styles and was designed by Arthur LaBelle of Marion, Indiana. The Seiberling Mansion underwent renovations in 1972, 1988 and 2002-2003. Interior woodwork consists of: oak, walnut, maple, cherry, mahogany and Indiana tulip poplar. Doorknobs, plates, hinges and window lifts are made of brass in a Moorish design. Because of the historical and architectural significance, the building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of Interior. The mansion was a residence until 1946 and then became the site of Indiana University at Kokomo. The Howard County Historical Society acquired the mansion in 1972, which is now the home of the Howard County Museum.
The Seiberling Mansion and museum is open to the public Tues-Sun from 1-4pm each afternoon.